Head versus Heart
The most important new material on the enneagram in thirty years.
Michael Hampsons Head versus Heart rebuilds the enneagram on a single new foundation: the fundamental question of how we engage with the world around us. To this task we each bring three basic resources-"head" and "heart" and our "gut reactions". Head versus Heart is a study of the interaction of these three. From the very beginning Head versus Heart explains as it describes-something which has never been done for the enneagram before. It explains for the first time why the nine types emerge as they do-and why they interconnect according to the enneagrams distinctive irregular pattern of interconnecting lines. The material is logical and rational throughout-with clear links to cognitive, behavioural and even neurological psychology. All this makes Head versus Heart the most accessible material ever produced on the enneagram-and the most important new work on it in thirty years.
REVIEWS & ENDORSEMENTS
- This is a book with huge appeal-to those who want to know more about themselves, more about others, more about prayer, and more about how the Bible relates to all this. As if that wasn't enough, Hampson also offers new insights about the enneagram itself-its uses, its neurological basis, and its enduring power. ~ Linda Woodhead, Senior Lecturer in Christian Studies, Lancaster University
- A fresh and innovative approach to the Enneagram which will enable many people to grow not only in self-understanding but also in pastoral relationships and spiritual development. ~ Alan Le Grys, Principals of the SE Institute for Technological Education
- Written by a priest who is aslo trained in philosophy and psychology, this book explores the ancient idea of the enneagram from a 21st century perspective. It is based on the threefold division of the title into head, heart and instinct types, with three intermediary positions making nine in all. It is a carefully crafted book that repays close study. ~ , Scientific and Medical Network Review
- Written by a highly experienced, wise and practical parish priest, the book guides the reader gently and firmly through a whole programme of discovery and - in the proper sense - conversion. This particular reader was forced again and again to recognise the challenging sense of the analysis offered, and hopes that many more will find the same excitement and prompting to growth in these pages. ~ Dr Rowan Williams, Archbishop of Canterbury
- A seminal work, whose impact will continue to reverberate throughout the 21st cventury because of two original contributions. Firstly, Hampson provides a credible, coherent and compelling explanation of the inter relationships between the nine categories of the Enneagram recast as the Strategy Board. secondly, he has generalised the Enneagram so that it can be used as a tool of analysis in many fields of human endeavour, bringing illumination and allowing insights to tumble out. ~ Fr Alexander, Worth Abbey
- The enneagram never ceases to fascinate and reveal new depths about the human person. Michael Hampson's book will do exactly that, along with some new insights that might please both the scientific minded and the faith community too. ~ Richard Rohr, Author of The Enneagram: a Christian Perspective